Sunday, 16 March 2014

A Cat's 9th Life is it's Most Precious

Today has been a difficult day for me. If you know me you'll know how much I love my cat. 

I woke up this morning to my cat, Seany (who believe it or not is female... silly, I know) giving herself a bath at the end of my bed. Now this isn't anything unusual, but when I looked closer, I noticed a huge opened wound/lump she was cleaning. I was shocked. I went straight to my mum and told her to call the vets ASAP! 
As it was a Saturday, the vets opened later than usual, so we had to wait a few hours before we could go in. In that time the wound got very visibly worse (if any of you have a pet, you'll know just how nerve-racking it can be to see them ill or hurt). 


After what felt like 5 hours we finally got to the vets, and everything went steeply downhill from there. I was slapped in the face with the news that my cat has a severe case of breast cancer which can't be operated on, and she's not going to be alive for much longer. I didn't know what to say, it's like the vet had dragged all the air out of my lungs and told me to swim.
 The vet has given me some anti-biotics for the wound but really, thats just treating symptoms and not the actual illness. 


The whole affair still hasn't sunk in properly, because technically she can still live for a good few years more, which I think makes the whole situation a lot worse, but what can you do. I will be unbelievably upset and lonely when she goes, which probably sounds a bit sad b


ecause she's "just a cat" but she means the world to me. As some people know, she isn't the friendliest cat at all, but to me, she wouldn't lay a paw on me, let alone taking her claws out.

At the moment she has this cone around her head to stop her from irritating the wound which she isn't happy about but it's for the best. Unfortunately, the vet said, as long as she's alive, she'd have to wear this cone to stop irritating the cancer.



Being a sad day for me and my family, and knowing that there is nothing we can do but wait, unfortunately, the only updates I will have on this, will be worsening conditions. 

To everyone out there with a pet, or your first pet, treat it like it is the world, because you never know what lies around the corner.

- Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment